You don’t need to be fluent in Spanish to go to Mexico, but it helps to know a few phrases to help you get around. Many touristy places speak some English so you’ll be just fine, but here are a few helpful words and phrases to know.
- Hola – Hello
- Gracias – Thank you
- Por favor – Please
- Adios – goodbye
- Lo sietno – I’m sorry
- Cuanto cuesta? – How much is it?
- La cuenta, por favor – The bill, please
- Donde esta el bano? – Where is the bathroom?
- Como se llama? – What is your name?
- Me llamo ____ – My name is ____
- Habla Ingles? – Do you speak English?
- Buenos dias – Good morning
- Buenas tardes – Good afternoon
- Buenas noches – Good evening
- Una mas cerveza, por favor – One more beer, please
Want to learn more? There are some great apps in both the Android and Apple stores you can download to your smartphone for free. More basic phrases can be found here.